- The Bluecast
- Don Belton
2013 ½ K Prize Guidelines
Final Judge: Dinty W. Moore
Dinty W. Moore is author of The Mindful Writer: Noble Truths of the Writing Life, as well as the memoir Between Panic & Desire, winner of the Grub Street Nonfiction Book Prize in 2009. He also edited The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers. Moore has published essays and stories in The Southern Review, The Georgia Review, Harpers, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, The Philadelphia Inquirer Magazine, Iron Horse Literary Review, and The Normal School among numerous other venues. A professor of nonfiction writing at Ohio University, Moore has won many awards for his writing, including a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Fiction. He edits Brevity, an online journal of flash nonfiction, and lives in Athens, Ohio, where he grows heirloom tomatoes and edible dandelions.
Contest Opens: June 1, 2013
POSTMARK DEADLINE: August 1, 2013
Reading Fee: $20
(includes one-year subscription)
The winner of our contest will receive $1,000 and publication in Indiana Review.
All entries are considered for publication.
All entries are considered anonymously.
Previously published works and works forthcoming elsewhere cannot be considered.
Simultaneous submissions are okay, but the fee is non-refundable if accepted elsewhere.
Multiple entries are okay, as long as a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
Further, IR cannot consider work from anyone currently or recently affiliated with Indiana University or the prize judge.
- Send no more than three short shorts or prose poems per entry, maximum 500 words each. Entrant’s name must not appear on the submission.
- Read examples (by J. Bowers and Megan Moriarty) of 2012 Half-K Finalists to be published in our forthcoming Summer 2013 issue!
- Each fee entitles entrant to a one-year subscription, an extension of a current subscription, or a gift subscription. Please indicate your choice and enclose complete address information for subscriptions. International addresses, please add $12 for postage ($7 for addresses in Canada).
- We prefer that you pay online. If online payment is impossible, please make checks payable to Indiana University. Please note that we cannot accept money orders or checks from foreign banks. We cannot accept checks made out to Indiana Review.
- If submitting electronically, please click here for our submission manager. Be sure to select the genre “1/2 K Prize 2013.”
- If submitting by post, please click here for our official entry form. With your entry, include a printout of your payment confirmation receipt e-mail. If desired, include self-addressed stamped envelope for notification. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Send entries to:
½ K Prize
Ballantine Hall 465
1020 E. Kirkwood Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7103
Remember: If submitting payment via regular mail, please make checks payable to “Indiana University.” We cannot accept checks addressed to “Indiana Review,” and correcting this can cause significant delays to your submission.