The 2017 Fiction Prize will open September 1.
Final Judge: Caitlin Horrocks
Caitlin Horrocks is author of the story collection This Is Not Your City, a New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice and a Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers selection. Her stories and essays appear in The New Yorker, The Best American Short Stories, The PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories, The Pushcart Prize, The Paris Review, The Atlantic, Tin House, One Story, and other journals and anthologies. Her awards include the Plimpton Prize and fellowships to the Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference and the MacDowell Colony. She is the fiction editor of The Kenyon Review and teaches at Grand Valley State University, and occasionally in the MFA Program for Writers at Warren Wilson College. She is at work on a novel and a second story collection, both forthcoming from Little, Brown. She lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with the writer W. Todd Kaneko.
Reading Fee: $20 USD—Includes a one-year subscription to Indiana Review.
The winner of our contest will receive $1,000 and publication in Indiana Review.
All entries are considered anonymously.
Previously published works and works forthcoming elsewhere cannot be considered.
Simultaneous submissions are okay, but the entry fee is non-refundable if the submitted work is accepted elsewhere.
Multiple entries are okay, as long as a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
Further, IR cannot consider work from anyone currently or recently affiliated with Indiana University or the prize judge. This includes people who have studied or taught at IU in the past four years.
- Send a single story of up to 8,000 words in a single word document.
- As of September 2014 we no longer accept hard-copy submissions.
- Entrant’s name must not appear on the submission.
- A cover letter may be included in the comments box.
- Each fee entitles entrant to a subscription of the journal. International addresses, please add $12 for postage ($7 for addresses in Canada).
- Be sure to select the genre “2017 Fiction Prize” on the submission form.
- The Prize deadline is October 31, 2017 at 11:59 EST.
- You will be redirected to the Submissions Manager to complete your entry after making the PayPal payment. If you are not automatically redirected, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will ensure you are able to complete your submission.
Thank you. We look forward to reading your work!