Final Judge: Gabrielle Calvocoressi
Gabrielle Calvocoressi’s first book, The Last Time I Saw Amelia Earhart, was shortlisted for the Northern California Book Award and won the 2006 Connecticut Book Award in Poetry. Her second collection, Apocalyptic Swing, was a finalist for the 2009 Los Angeles Times Book Prize. Her awards and honors include a Stegner Fellowship, a Jones Lectureship at Stanford University, and a Rona Jaffe Women Writers’ Award. Her poem “Circus Fire, 1944” received The Paris Review’s Bernard F. Connors Prize. She teaches at the MFA programs at California College of Arts in San Francisco and at Warren Wilson College. She also runs the sports desk for the Best American Poetry Blog.
Reading Fee: $10 USD for the first two weeks of submissions. $20 for all submissions received after February 15. Includes a one-year subscription to Indiana Review.
The winner of our contest will receive $1,000 and publication in Indiana Review.
All entries are considered anonymously.
Previously published works and works forthcoming elsewhere cannot be considered.
Simultaneous submissions are okay, but the entry fee is non-refundable if the submitted work is accepted elsewhere or withdrawn for another reason.
Multiple entries are okay, as long as a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
Further, IR cannot consider work from anyone currently or recently affiliated with Indiana University or the prize judge. This includes people who have studied or taught at IU in the past four years.
- Send up to three poems in a single word document.
- Entrant’s name must not appear on the submission.
- A cover letter may be included in the comments box.
- Each fee entitles entrant to a year-long subscription of the journal. International addresses, please add $12 for postage ($7 for addresses in Canada).
- Be sure to select the genre “2018 Poetry Prize” on the submission form. Submissions with incorrectly designated genres will not be read.
- The Prize deadline is March 31, 2018 at 11:59 EST.
- Hit "Submit Entry" below to get started. You will be redirected to the Submissions Manager to upload your submission after making the PayPal payment. If you are not automatically redirected, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will ensure you are able to complete your submission.
Thank you. We look forward to reading your work!