The 2017 1/2 K Prize is now open!
Final Judge: Donika Kelly
Donika Kelly’s debut collection, Bestiary (Graywolf Press 2016), was selected by Nikky Finney for the 2015 Cave Canem Poetry Prize, and long listed for the National Book Award. She holds an MFA in Writing from the Michener Center for Writers at the University of Texas at Austin, and in 2013, she received a Ph.D. in English from Vanderbilt University, where she specialized in American literature and film studies. Donika is a Cave Canem graduate fellow and a June Fellow of the Bucknell Seminar for Younger Poets. Her poems have appeared or are forthcoming in various journals including Tin House, Indiana Review, and Virginia Quarterly Review. Donika is an Assistant Professor at St. Bonaventure University, where she teaches creative writing.
Reading Fee: $20 USD—Includes a subscription to Indiana Review
The winner of our contest will receive $1,000 and a publication in Indiana Review.
All entries are considered anonymously.
Previously published works and works forthcoming elsewhere cannot be considered.
Simultaneous submissions are okay, but the entry fee is non-refundable if the submitted work is accepted elsewhere.
Multiple entries are okay, as long as a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
Further, IR cannot consider work from anyone currently or recently affiliated with Indiana University or the prize judge.
- Send up to 3 pieces, each under 500 words, in a single word document.
- As of September 2014 we no longer accept hard-copy submissions.
- Entrant’s name must not appear on the submission.
- Cover letter must include name, address, phone number, and title. Entrant’s name should appear ONLY in the cover letter.
- Each fee entitles entrant to a subscription of the journal. International addresses, please add $12 for postage ($7 for addresses in Canada).
- Be sure to select the genre “2017 1/2 K Prize” on the submission form.
- The Prize deadline is August 1, 2017 at midnight EST.
- Entries submitted before the opening date or after the deadline will not be considered.
- You will be redirected to the Submissions Manager to complete your entry after making the PayPal payment. If you are not automatically redirected, please contact email@example.com and we will ensure you are able to complete your submission.
Thank you, and we look forward to reading your work!